Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Leadership Role

So, for this awesome Student Development class that I'm taking, I have to find a leadership role and apply the things I learn in class to that role. Sweet, huh?! Thats what I thought til' I started looking for a leadership role I could use!

I waited for awhile hoping I would get a calling in my ward that I could apply to this project. Something easy like, Ward Door Greeter... Then I could write about something like brightening peoples day! Woohoo! But all my wishful thinking backfired and I have yet to receive any type of calling.

But I've decided that was a good thing, because this project is suppose to stretch us... So instead of waiting for a leadership role to come to me, I went out and got one! Hurray!

I went to the Y-Serve office (which is just a place people can go to serve or learn about service opportunities) and had an awesome chat with one of the executives there. He gave me a list of service programs currently at BYU and asked me to fill out an officer request form. I filled out the form, but I really don't think I want to be an officer, too much time. Ehem, but anyways, I found this awesome program called Adaptive Aquatics. You meet every Thursday or Friday for one hour and work with special needs kids in the water! You work with them on their motor skills and also their social skills.

I have yet to attend this great service opportunity (they don't start meeting til' Thursday), but I am soo excited to be able to apply the knowledge I gain from this class to such an awesome and fun activity.

I'll keep posting how everything goes. And if any other leadership opportunities pop up in my life, I'll be sure to write about those.

I am sooo grateful for such a wonderful college, where leadership is centered around serving and not decorating for a dance... hahaha.

Goodbye High School Leadership

Hello Divine Centered Leadership

:)

2 comments:

  1. I am excited for you to learn and process this transition from the confused world of high school leadership to the world of divine centered leadership. A style of leadership that will help guide you throughout your mission Don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade my high school experiences for the world (I was ASB treasurer myself... thank you very much) it definitely helped lay a foundation, for the leader I am today. However it is such a small foundation compared to the growth I have experienced here at BYU, BYU-Hawaii and my mission. Christian, my friend you are in for a treat! Keep up the good posts!

    Also Alexander Howe of Section 008 is going to be doing the same Y-Serve project if you are interested in connecting with him. It's a great leadership role, I am excited for you. And you could totally handle an officer position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian! Let's be Kids in Aquatics buddies! I'm so excited. Your post is so funny and I know you will be a great leader. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete