Friday, October 8, 2010

Divine-Centered Leadership


Awe! Finally! The blog I've been itching to write!

The reason why this class is so great is because it focuses on emulating the leadership characteristics Jesus Christ possessed. I had an assigned reading for this week called Divine-Centered Leadership and it had these five main points that defined this type of leadership. The five points are:
1. Sharing an inspired vision
2. Challenging unrighteousness
3. Modeling the way, the truth, and the life
4. Knowing each heart
5. Serving others so they may act

Although I will be focusing on all of these five aspects of Divine-Centered Leadership, there was one that really stuck out to me.

I sincerely believe that a really good leader can understand and "know" each heart. Imagine, a leader in church or in public office who tried to know the hearts of those they serve. I want to believe that everyone in public office tries to know the hearts of their constituents. But time and time again I've seen selfish interests control the power struggles in politics. If ALL leaders took the time to understand and know and actively do that which would benefit those they serve, life would be better in many ways.

So, I'd like to unravel this part of Divine-Centered Leadership and try to learn and grow from it.

In my leadership role, I work with children who are incapable of most everyday activities. They are socially undeveloped for their age and have a hard time knowing right from wrong.

How do you know the heart of someone you can't really talk to?

Well, it's often been said that actions speak louder then words. I have this really great friend I've played with the past three weeks. His name is Phoenix. He's 6 years old and he loves to knock over bowling pins. We could play with those bowling pins for hours, hahaha. His laugh is contagious and he's ticklish all over. I have a great time hanging out with him!

Last week I had a near spiritual experience with Phoenix. We we're playing with the bowling pins as usual. He spotted a big medicine ball on the other side of the gym and took off running. I followed him and asked if he wanted to bounce! He didn't respond, but just rolled right onto it and fell off towards the side. I picked him up, rolled him on top of the ball and started bouncing him up and down off the ball. He instantly started laughing and smiling which made me laugh and smile and pretty much everyone around us smile and laugh. Phoenix was in his own perfect world, just smiling and laughing the cares of those around him away. I instantly felt a warmth inside me that just spread through my entire body. I wanted to fast forward 80 years to be able to talk to him in heaven. I got a glimpse of the kind of love Jesus has for all of us. I felt like I learned a bit about the little heart of my friend Phoenix.

Looking back on this experience I understand that it just takes time and interest to know the hearts of those you seek to serve. It requires you to slow down your life and put yourself in their shoes.

Jesus Christ always took the time to know the hearts of his disciples. He had a complete understanding of the heart of humanity and showed his love by atoning for the sins of the world.

I'll apply this part of Divine-Centered Leadership by slowing down my schedule and spending time and showing interest in the activities of my friends from school and at Gym Kids. I love the time I've spent with the Gym Kid friends so far. Like the time me and Phoenix played on the ball, I want to be able make the children laugh and smile. I want to brighten their days.

In doing that, I'm sure I'll be able to learn as much about life from them as anyone. Theres always a special feeling that comes from being spending time with disabled children. They have the ability to love in the purest way.

I just hope that one day I can love everyone like my special friends. I want to, like Christ, know the hearts of everyone I come in contact with.

And now I know, all it takes is time and interest.

Thanks Phoenix. You're the man.






1 comment:

  1. seriously christian, you are going to be a great leader someday, heck! you already are one. thank you for teaching me tonight, as i read your blog. you truly have a GREAT understanding on what it means to be a divine centered leader... so keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete